Thanks to Melissa Fox, Discover! Children’s Museum has been offered a fun opportunity! Imagination Yoga! You might be asking yourself what is Imagination Yoga, or you may be thinking that you will go right past this blog post. I must say that if you choose the latter you will be missing out on a very fun adventure!
Imagination Yoga is for kids! So you may ask what is the difference between regular yoga and kids yoga? Imagination Yoga creatively integrates yoga poses by using your imaginations. Each class is based on a themed adventure, where the instructor slowly describes where they are going. The adventures could take kids through space or on exhibitions to see the largest dinosaurs via time machines. Whatever the adventure, you can bet that even the youngest minds remain attentive and willing to participate in the fun!
- Along with building muscles, Imagination Yoga improves body awareness, increases flexibility, develops correct posture, encourages good circulation, and cardiovascular health.
- Imagination Yoga is a social outlet for kids: Yoga helps both socially and emotionally by increasing self esteem.
- These classes will also help teach children about drawing their attention towards something and remaining focused on that item. During which they learn what it feels like in their body and mind to be calm and focused.
- Imagination Yoga is also a playful place where kids can relax in this increasingly stress-filled world.
- Children will learn how to express themselves through imagination as well as improve language development through kinesthetic learning. (Kinesthetic learning is where a student learns by carrying out a physical activity, rather than listening to someone or watching a demonstration) We at Discover! love this aspect of Imagination Yoga! Learn through play!
The class begins with Melissa giving an easy lesson on breathing. Teaching kids to be aware of their breathing can help them to learn to relax, which in turn reduces the effects of stress. Then she has them focus on an item, she does this by placing it in the center of the circle and calling the kids attention to it. The purpose of this particular exercise is to teach kids to concentrate with their eyes. Then the next step is the adventure, but you’ll have to bring your kiddos to class to hear about that part!
Hello Discover! Adventurer’s, my name is Melissa Fox. I am a happily married wife of twenty-three years, and mother to three amazing children ages 19, 16 and 9. I was a stay at home Mom for 15 years, and I also volunteered at school and community events during that time.
In 2009 I became a certified yoga instructor through YogaFit. I have been teaching for 5 years with over 1200 classes taught. I also became a Certified Personal Trainer in 2009 through NASM, National Academy of Sports Medicine. Imagination Yoga is a magical yoga program I just had to become involved in. So when the opportunity presented itself this summer, I jumped at the opportunity to become certified in it.
Prior to all of my training I have been active throughout my life. At fourteen I started weightlifting and felt that it was in my blood. Remaining active seemed like a natural process for me. So I decided that if I needed to work, I wanted to love my work. Have you heard the motto, “Do what you love, Love what you do.” So that is what I did!
That’s when Yoga found me and I haven’t looked back. Always progressing, sometimes stuck, but always finding a way home to my mat. It has been an unexpected journey for me, but one of love and passion. I am so grateful for the opportunity to share this wonderful practice, to bring awareness to one’s self, and I hope to inspire people everyday through practicing Yoga.
Classes Start September 22, 2014 at Thorbecks in Chehalis (91 Chehalis Ave. SW. Chehalis WA 98532. If you have any questions, feel free to call (360) 748-3744
These classes are free, however donations made will go to Discover! Children’s Museum new permanent museum!
Monday and Wednesday * Ages 3-11 are welcome either time
10:30 ~ Ages 3-6 Years Old
4:15 ~ Ages 4-11 Years Old
Have fun Discover! Explorers